299 3rd Street (3rd Floor)
3++ Bedrooms / 2.5 Bathrooms
4,400 Square Feet
1 Gated Parking Space (additional parking available)
The American Bag Building is a historic loft conversion in Jack London Square. Originally built in 1912, it served as the headquarters of the The American Bag and Union Hide Company until 1988. In 1995, a gut renovation was done by the current owners creating three units each consisting of its own floor while retaining the original brick and timber details. The top floor is a truly unique 4,400 square foot penthouse. In 1999, the building was designated as an Oakland landmark and is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
The penthouse was designed by the current owner and has custom finishes and compelling architectural features throughout. The interior spans the entire top floor of the building with freight elevator access directly into the unit. The floor plan consists of wide open living spaces, high ceilings with wood beams, skylights, original solid oak hardwood floors and custom lighting throughout. These dramatic elements are balanced with a state of the art kitchen that includes stainless cabinets, concrete countertops, oversized pantry, convection oven, gas range, warming drawer and double dishwashers.
There is a spacious fully enclosed master bedroom, luxurious master bathroom with ~500 square foot walk-in closet and dressing area, two additional bedrooms on the opposite side of the loft with a shared bath and red claw foot tub, a family/media room and bonus room suitable for office or home gym.
The American Bag Building is centrally located in the hub of Jack London Square just a few blocks from Jack London Cinemas, Yoshi’s, Blue Bottle Coffee, Rosenblum Cellars, Chop Bar, California Kayak, Plank, Forge Pizzeria and numerous new restaurants and entertainment venues. It is only minutes to the Lake Merritt BART station and a few blocks to the Oakland Ferry Terminal, each providing quick access to San Francisco.
- Kitchen with custom designed stainless cabinets, poured concrete counters, stainless appliances, large center island, 5-burner gas stove, pot filler, dual Miele dishwashers, Wolf convection oven, Thermador hood, warming drawer, double sinks
- Master bathroom with double sink, double steam shower and jetted tub
- Ceiling fans throughout
- Hydronic radiator heaters throughout
- Newly refinished oak hardwood floors
- ~500 square foot custom walk-in master closet with dressing area and built-in safe
- Custom lighting throughout
- Media/Family Room
- Custom tiled powder room
- Architecturally compelling timber and brick construction
- Laundry room with utility sink, washer & dryer, walk in storage/linen closet
- Bonus room ideal for home office or gym
- 1 parking space in secure parking area with additional parking available
- Covered outdoor patio off kitchen